Action or Non Action?

Further to my last post about persistence, a newsletter from Mr Twenty Twenty contained a message that ties in nicely with the example of not taking action I wanted to talk about today. It's entitled “Did Neville say not to take action?“

Here it is:

“Hey mate,

Today Anne we are exploring if Neville Goddard really wanted us to NOT take action on what we IMAGINE. Enjoy the quote, and the journal entry, and leave a comment.

Here is Neville:

Feel in depth, for what you feel deeply is more vital than what you think. Every day you can think about how wonderful it would be if - and never act. But if every day you would feel how wonderful it is now, it will become true. Shakespeare said: "Assume a virtue if you have it not." A virtue must be felt to be assumed. Refrain from the assumption tonight and it will be easy to refrain next week and still easier the next. But if you will assume your desire is fulfilled now, and persevere in that assumption through the sense of feeling, it will be externalized as a literal fact in your world. - Neville Goddard

One of my mentors would say, "What you TRULY feel makes you do what you do. What you think about is what YOU THINK ABOUT." In other words, feeling trumps thinking. (But what happens once you get THINKING AND FEELING working together? Read Neville again, and keep going.)

One of my mentors would say, "What you TRULY feel makes you do what you do. What you think about is what YOU THINK ABOUT." In other words, feeling trumps thinking. (But what happens once you get THINKING AND FEELING working together? Read Neville again, and keep going.)

Remember, change happens in ACTION. The first action and most important you can take is to clear and to control your mind. Only then, can you trust completely that any action you take - will be as effective as it can be.

Power Point: Neville didn't just hold in mind people GETTING HIS MESSAGE - he went out and ACTIVELY SHARED IT. The mistake is to believe that all you need to do is believe. Real belief shows up in behavior. Behave as if....

Time to Rock and roll!


Mr Twenty Twenty
http://www.2020unleashed.com - Journal Entry


I agree that real belief shows up in behaviour, and Neville gives examples. But he also gives us lots of examples of when people didn't/couldn't do anything about a situation but hang on the best they could to that feeling of the desire fulfilled.

Here is a good example of that:

“When you know how to pray, you will discover that everyone in the world can be used as an instrument to aid the birth of your prayer. They may be condemned in the act and pay society’s price, while you are saved; yet you are the cause of their action.

When I decided to marry the lady who now bears my name I applied this principle. At the time I was terribly involved. I had married at the age of eighteen and became a father at nineteen. We separated that year, but I never sought a divorce; therefore, my separation was not legal in the state of New York. Sixteen years later, when I fell in love and wanted to marry my present wife, I decided to sleep as though we were married. While sleeping, physically in my hotel room, I slept imaginatively in an apartment, she in one bed and I in the other. My dancing partner did not want me to marry, so she told my wife that I would be seeking a divorce and to make herself scarce - which she did, taking up residence in another state. But I persisted! Night after night I slept in the assumption that I was happily married to the girl I love.

Within a week I received a call requesting me to be in court the next Tuesday morning at 10:00 A.M.. Giving me no reason why I should be there, I dismissed the request, thinking it was a hoax played on me by a friend. So the next Tuesday morning at 9:30 A.M. I was unshaved and only casually dressed, when the phone rang and a lady said: "It would be to your advantage, as a public figure, to be in court this morning, as your wife is on trial."What a shock! I quickly thanked the lady, caught a taxi, and arrived just as court began. My wife had been caught lifting a few items from a store in New York City, which she had not paid for. Asking to speak on her behalf I said: "She is my wife and the mother of my son. Although we have been separated for sixteen years, as far as I know she has never done this before and I do not think she will ever do it again. We have a marvelous son. Please do nothing to her to reflect in any way upon our son, who lives with me. If I may say something, she is eight years my senior and may be passing through a certain emotional state which prompted her to do what she did. If you must sentence her, then please suspend it." The judge then said to me, "In all of my years on the bench I have never heard an appeal like this. Your wife tells me you want a divorce, and here you could have tangible evidence for it, yet you plead for her release." He then sentenced her for six months and suspended the sentence. My wife waited for me at the back of the room and said: "Neville, that was a decent thing to do. Give me the subpoena and I will sign it."We took a taxi together and I did that which was not legal: I served my own subpoena and she signed it.

Now, who was the cause of her misfortune? She lived in another state, but came to New York City to do an act for which she was to be caught and tried. So I say: every being in the world will serve your purpose, so in the end you will say: "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." They will move under compulsion to do your will, just as my wife did.”

– Brazen Impudence


Other examples are how Neville got honourably discharged from the army and passages to and back from Barbados; once when he had no money and once when all the berths were booked and there was a three month waiting list. Seemingly impossible, inextricable situations that enfolded in ways that were inconceivable before they happened.

"I have ways ye know not of. My ways are past finding out." Link
Action does happen; intuitive, spontaneous action when we are following our bliss and responses to situations based on who we really feel we are. If persistence is to be used I think it should be in checking in regularly on the gps system and correcting when necessary, this is the key to clearing and controlling your mind and changing your inner conversations.

Thank you for the fuel on the fire :)

Further reading:
1948 Lessons Series

Comments

Anonymous said…
Twenty Twenty often misrepresents Neville's teachings, apparently to make it seem more reasonable.

Neville is explicit. There is no question of "Should I take action or not?" because Neville explains that we do not have that freedom. We don't take action, action just happens.

The only action we can take, the only freedom we have, is the freedom to control our inner self, our imagination. Yes, if we imagine ourselves a certain way, certain actions will flow (or will stop flowing) from us.

We might stop overeating, or we may be more charismatic, or we may make a seemingly random choice that leads us towards our goal, miss the train by 5 seconds and find the love of our life or whatever. The idea of taking inspired action confuses people. All action is inspired, the only question is, what is it inspired by?
Anne said…
Absolutely! Thank you for your comment. This making things more reasonable reminds me of the man that Neville talks about in the lecture "How to Use Your Imagination":

Once a man said to me, "You know, Neville, I love to listen to you talk about imagination, but as I do so, I invariably touch the chair with my fingers and push my feet into the rug just to keep my sense of the reality and the profundity of things. Well, undoubtedly he is still touching the chair with his fingers and pushing his feet into the rug.


I think that action is often inspired by fear which takes us in the wrong direction. This is especially true in situations when we are facing the lions in their den. But there are times when the action is simply hearing a person say what we want them to say in our imagination and then giving the matter no further thought until the day we hear them say those exact words and we remember what we did.
Anonymous said…
I agree 2020 is a great teacher but sometimes I also think he misses certain things but I will say this is his defense, I think that sometimes he explains it in ways that are ambiguous and actually not answering.

Anonymous on top is 100% correct, in the core lectures, no 4, Neville describes what action actually is....simply using your talents (imagination and watching your thinking and in particular your reactions). So Anne also answered correctly, your only job is to remain faithful to your assumption and the only action is to constantly remain in that state and use your imagination until you get it physically.. (As Neville puts it).