Cookie Jar Entry

I was prompted the other day to take stock of what I am doing with the law. My relationship with my previously obnoxious neighbor continues to improve and he has confirmed that he's going to move out and far away when he's let out of prison. But I realized that I'm not applying the law to seemingly smaller, or perhaps I should say less painful, things and decided change that.

I remembered one of the many Neville lectures that I've listened to and continue to listen to where a writer "heard" the producer say things in his imagination and the producer repeated them a short time later. Using his imagination he took the producer from his habitual "good" to "great", to "that's fantastic !"

I have been quite successful "hearing" people say what I want them to in the past so I decided to work with one of my students - I coach (mainly French) adults who need English as a second language for their job. I chose a man who I have been coaching for several years now. He's fun to work with and has greatly improved his English but he has some what I call pet mistakes. These are mistakes that are repeated again and again, week after week and in spite of all the explanations about why it's a mistake.  One of these is him saying "UK people". So  last Wednesday evening I decided to hear him say "British people" and during his one hour training session the next morning he said "British people" 3 times and "UK people 0 times. He did let slip a "France people" but he auto-corrected the second time.

There, I heard him say it clearly in my imagination, just once, and then dropped it. And it worked as it has worked for other things. I just hadn't thought about using the law in my job before. I think a next step would be to work directly on metrics, things like scores in tests.

I'm now looking out for more and more things to revise but my main priority at the moment is to fully enjoy a 2-week vacation. The robe I am wearing for this holiday is woven in ease, grace, flow, an abundance of appreciation - including in the form of money; and the thrill and joy of new beginnings; an adventure that just keeps getting better and better.

To finish, a quote from David Allen, you can check him out on Facebook:

We are to LIVE wholly on the level of our imagination.

Comments